Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Whatcha Eating: Clean Beef Stew

While my parents were in town this past weekend, I thought I would try a clean recipe on them. It was a crock pot recipe so that made it even better (less time in the kitchen preparing the meal=more time spent with them). It was a hit. The recipe: Beef Stew. Highly recommended!


3lbs lean boneless beef

1/3 c flour

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 T oregano

1 T basil

3 T olive oil

1 large onion chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 carrots chopped (I added another)

4 ribs celery chopped

2 sweet potatoes, 1 inch chunks

1 T tomato paste

3 c beef broth


In a large ziploc bag place the flour, sea salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Shake bag to mix. Add cubed meat to bag and shake until meat is coated. Set aside.


In a large non stick skillet, place 1.5 T olive oil and set over medium high heat. Remove meat and place in skillet until lightly browned. Place meat in slow cooker. Add all other ingredients and mix gently. Cook covered for 6 hours.




I liked this recipe because there were no "weird" ingredients that I had to go out and find...I am starting out slowly in to this whole thing. I don't know why this is considered a "clean recipe" really, aside from not using white potatoes. ?? Anyway, it was a nice mix of spice with a hint of sweet with the potatoes. Serve with a side of green beans and you are good to go. For more recipes go to http://www.cleaneatingonline.com/.

No comments: