Monday, December 14, 2009

Rules of Thumb

My favorite magazine, Runner's World, had 10 Running Rules of Thumb written in the latest edition. Here are a few of my favorites (with my input below the rule):

#3. If you have to ask yourself, are these shorts too short, they probably are.

Ugh. And why are the old guys always the worst offenders? Or the middle aged man with the mullet?

#5 You rarely regret runs you do; you almost always regret the runs you skip.

So true. I have never wished I wouldn't have run when all is said and done. I have often hated running while on my long runs, but never after. The hardest part is getting dressed and getting out there.


#6 Not everyone who looks fast is, and not everyone who looks slow really is.

I am guilty of sizing up my competition at races. I like to pick people out that I want to stay ahead of. Now, I usually don't do that until after the gun goes off and we are a mile in to it. I remember my first race, I picked out a heavier set, shorter girl at the starting line...and it turned out that she was way faster than I was. :-)

#9. Running any given route in the rain makes you feel 50% more hard-core than covering the same route on a sunny day.

There is just something about running in the rain...even something more about running in the snow that makes you feel more accomplished. Anyone can run when the weather is "perfect". You are not a true runner until you have run in the elements.

~Beth

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like # 9...I love running in the rain! :-)