Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week Six - The Beating

This week was not conducive to running, at all. I was over scheduled and beat. Along with commitments I needed to keep, I worked three afternoons and then picked up a half of a shift today...which kinda screwed up my long run.



I think after today's long run, I will be boycotting all long distances...okay, maybe not, but it's nice to think that way right now. Especially with the way my calves are feeling. If you could see me walk, you would understand...or just plain laugh at me.



The only good thing about today is that I pigged out...and I enjoyed every minute of it. I had a bowl of cheerios, two bananas, muffins, a bowl full of brown rice with black eyed peas and a few veggies mixed in there, and a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and a hand full of raisins. It makes my mouth water just thinking about everything.



I got off to a really late start. I worked from 5:30-9:30A this morning. Got home and didn't really feel up to it. So, I played with the kids and laid on the couch and decided that this would be a 17 miler instead of 18. It was 1:30 when I decided to get my butt out the door and get this dreaded run over with...alone.



Running alone, at first, was wonderful. It was peaceful, quiet, and I could do some real soul searching. I have been having some stomach issues (again...I don't know what's up with me) so I decided to stay kinda close to home.



I was chugging along at a good 10:00/mile pace and at mile 3.5 is when it hit me. I ran the rest of the .7 home and took a potty break. My stomach was cramping and quite a mess. But, I had to do this. I tried to be quick and choked 1/2 a gel packet down...which would be it for the whole rest of my run...I had that and almost a full bottle of water (kinda bad, I was told).



Up until about mile 9, I felt better and was able to stay around a 10:30/mile pace. It was comfortable. I had to take another bathroom break...I was happy with my choice to stay close to home even though it was so incredibly boring.



Mile 13 is when I wanted to quit. I even broke down in tears several times (must of been quite a sight, but I was hoping my sun glasses hid it). I just did not want to go any farther. I was cold, wet, wind burned, and so sore. One of the things that kept me going was knowing that my sister, off in PA, was running a 17 miler today too...and I knew she wouldn't be quitting. So, I sucked it up and pretended I was running with my sister. I even put on the song that she says she listens to at the beginning of her run.



So, there I was for four long miles, freezing tears on my wind burned face, thinking of my sister, whispering to myself, "You are a runner, push through the pain,"and imagining myself crossing the finish line of my first marathon. I was a mess. But, I finished the 17 miles and got a picture to prove it.




It's the longest distance I have ever run at one time. It's the most painful run I have ever had and it didn't seem too victorious, but I finished.



I am dreading next week and hoping that my body forgets about the beating that it's just experienced (my mind too).



Please tell me that it gets better!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think it's funny that we were both thinking the same thing. I wanted to quit so bad after about four miles, but I kept thinking that you wouldn't be quitting and I knew I would regret hearing that you had done it while I had quit. I think I should just fly out there and stay until May. Then we would get our long runs done with less of a mental struggle :-)