Thursday, January 23, 2014

Playing Catch Up

Back in September, I had a bit of a health scare.  It stopped me in my tracks, literally, and made me put my relationship with running on a back burner for a bit.  Not only did it give me the much needed rest my body needed, it also gave me a refreshed appreciation that I am able to run.

Running is a gift.

Weeks later, after being cleared by my doctor, I slowly got back to it.  My body was weak, I had lost about 12 pounds, and I knew I needed a move.

I joined a gym.

I never thought I would go back.  I needed so badly to "get away" a year and a half before when I cancelled my membership.  I had become stagnant and everything was so boring.  I truly am thankful for the year and a half I spent on the open road, out in the elements, watching the sunsets and sunrises and everything in between...but I am also happy to be back in the gym, especially in this weather!

I have been working on my whole body and not just running.  I feel great, my hip pain is totally gone, and I feel stronger.  I am really looking forward to building more muscle, increasing my speed, and getting back to racing this year.

Almost a week ago, I walked in to Complete Nutrition.  I have been upping my protein and trying to eat cleaner.  I met with a girl there and had an analysis done.  I stepped on that analyzer and was a little freaked out as to what it would say...I was hesitant to even do it...but, I was pretty pleased with my numbers!  The trip provided me with a lot of new information and was an encouragement to keep going and doing what I am doing.  I have a trip planned to go back in there the middle of February to step on the dreaded analyzer again to see if my muscle mass has increased at all and see if any other progress has been made.

That, coupled with a few races already on the calendar has been much needed motivation.

It feels so good to be back!

Happy Running!


No comments: