Thursday, January 30, 2014

Excuses? I think I have one...

When it comes to training, I try to stick to the motto : No Excuses.  It's really easy to do until you have a really good excuse...or what, in your mind, seems like a good one.

With my husband's new job, he is usually able to start later than he used to...which allows me some extra time to sleep before I need to get up and head to the gym.  Since his start time varies day to day, I make sure to ask him the night before to know when I will have to set my alarm.  I worked last night and so I sent him a text to ask.  When he replied, "Six," I knew the probability of a five mile run was pretty slim.  I'll admit I had a little bit of a mental argument between the side of me that likes my warm bed and the side of me that screams :Hard work, Dedication, No excuses!  Eventually, I knew that I had to suck it up and get out of the house.

My alarm went off at 4:30 (after 6 hours of restless sleep) and by 5:03 I was on the hamster wheel plugging along.  After the six miles I did on Saturday, the dread was still fresh and I knew this would be more mental than physical for me.  After I had three miles under my belt, I seriously considered jumping off and calling it a day...not because my body wanted to quit, but because my mind had had enough.  I averaged a 9:30 pace for my five miles...that seems to be my comfort zone lately...one that I am hoping to break.

I was thrilled to jump off that machine that makes every. single. minute. seem like an eternity, but even more thrilled that I didn't let an excuse get in my way.

Now to mentally prepare for the seven that I have to do this weekend.

Happy Running!

No comments: