Monday, October 10, 2011

You Win Some, You Lose Some

I don't know if I would consider finishing 26.2 miles a total loss.  So, maybe my title is inappropriate.  But, this definitely wasn't my best...but it sure was fun.

(Ready to run!)


I ran the Bank of America Chicago Marathon yesterday.  It was amazing being apart of the 45000+ people that were racing.  The stream of people seemed to go on forever and I was never alone.  The crowd support stretched for all 26.2 miles, the volunteers were awesome, and the course was great...the heat however was not.

It was quite a feeling going under the bridge after the start line and looking around and hearing the people cheering.  I got teary eyed about just what I was actually a part of.  I ran a pretty good half marathon.

(Mile 11...feeling good. )

It wasn't until about mile 16 that I felt myself falling apart...and at mile 18 I hit a wall.  I am just not the type of runner to run long distances in temps close or at 80 degrees.  It's just too hot for me.  So, miles 18-22 were terrible for me.  I lost a lot of time and kept feeling like I was either going to pass out or throw up.  If it wasn't for the crowd's encouragement, the last six miles would have been way longer than they already seemed.  I wrote my kids names on my left wrist and I kept looking at them for the last four miles.  There were a few tears those last couple miles...not only because of the pain, but also because I felt so blessed to be able to do this again.

So, I crossed the finish line in my usual fashion with my hands in the air and my head down.  With tears in my eyes I walked to have my medal placed around my neck.  I got the worst time thus far...5:32...almost 40 minutes slower than DesMoines.  After the last half of this race, I was just happy to have crossed the finish line and still be alive a well.

Immediately after I said I was done running marathons...but that was a temporary moment of insanity...and the pain talking.  Done with full marathons?  No way.  I will be back to Chicago for a rematch in 2013...next year I will take on Detroit...and hopefully in the next couple of years I will get my goal of 4:45 or under.


(After walking to the train station I got a foot long sub for the way home.  When we got home I had a Big Mac Meal...delish! )


Running 26.2 miles is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life...but obviously there's something about it that keeps me coming back for more.

No comments: