Sunday, March 20, 2011

Never Again

There have been many, many times that I have left home with nothing electronic on my person...no fuel belt...I just wanted to run and not feel held down by anything...including my cell phone.

On Saturday morning, Jamie and I set out on our weekly run. Her sister was in town and came along. It was a gorgeous day. For the first two or so miles, we were keeping a steady 10 minute/mile pace. It was really comfortable and felt great. At about 2.4 miles, Jamie and I both looked back and didn't see her sister. We waited for about a half minute and decided to back track and see where she was. When we came around a curve, there she was...and she was not smiling or running anymore. She had taken a fall and cut up her hands and messed up her leg...and none of us had a cell phone.


It was decided that Jamie would stay with her sister and I would run the 2.2.miles back to the house. I was determined for it not to take me more than 20 minutes to get back there. My average pace for those two miles was 9:03/mile...and at one point my fastest pace was 7:17/mile. My lungs and legs were burning...and although I knew that nobody had life threatening injuries, I wanted to push myself and see how fast I could make it...especially since I had 2.5 miles already under my belt.

I got back to the house and made the trip by car (with Jamie's husband driving...I was jello) to pick them up. Jamie's sister apologized for ruining our run. I actually thought of it (for myself atleast) as the total opposite. I still ran the same distance that I set out to run...I just ran it faster...and I was pretty pleased with my run that day. Not ruined at all...and my cell phone will now be with me at all times.

No comments: