Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CRIM 2010


On Saturday I ran my third CRIM. It didn't go as planned, but I am glad that I ran it another year. I was really hoping for a PR, but after mile 6 I knew that it wasn't going to happen. Along with fighting a nasty cold, I also forgot to throw my Garmin in my bag when packing for Michigan. I rely heavily on that thing...I am pretty attached, especially on racing days. I let my excitement get the best of me and ran my first 5 miles at a 9:20 pace (no little beeping on my arm telling me to slow down those first couple of miles). It was a pace I just couldn't maintain on those hills starting at mile five. At mile seven, I fell apart and ended up walking a bit. Not only do I need my Garmin, but I have found that I need my running buddies too. I really missed having someone to run with at this race. My time at the halfway point was awesome. My chip time, not so much. I finished this CRIM in 1:48:20. There were, however, a few highlights to this race:


My Dad drove me down there and waited for me at the finish line. Even though I didn't see him, just knowing he was waiting for me was special.


Around mile 2 or 3, I grabbed a Krispie Cream...something I have wanted to do since seeing them the first year I ran. Even though it didn't taste that great and I only ate half, I can now say that I grabbed one.


I went out there and ran. It wasn't my best race. It wasn't my best time. I was feeling crappy and PMS-ing, but I still did it. It just makes me want to do better next year.


And lastly, my medal is gorgeous! And for me, it's mostly about the medal.