Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rain

Running, lately, has been strictly for my enjoyment. The pressure is off. It's nice to go out for a run because I want to and not because I feel that I have to because that's what my training schedule says.

I haven't felt the need for a run in quite some time like I did today. I felt like if I didn't hurry up and get my running shoes on and bolt out the door that my head was going to explode.

I was in a mood and I know that running is one of those things that can pull me out.

The wind was strong today, but I was glutton for punishment. My first mile was a loop. My second mile, I headed out of my sub for a straight mile in to the wind. It was tough and I couldn't seem to get my mile under 9:45. The fight was exhilarating...it was like going up a hill for a whole mile. With my mood, I needed that...my body needed that.

My third mile, I turned around and went back. I had much better results running with the wind. My third mile I kept a 9:05 pace and it felt pretty effortless...it looked pretty good on my Garmin too.

It started to really blow and cloud up with I came back in to my sub. I really wanted to keep going. I was thirsty to run in the rain. I dropped my Garmin and my ipod back off at the house in anticipation and headed out for another 1.5 miles.

I hadn't even gotten 0.2 of a mile in to my last stretch that it started to sprinkle. I hoped it would rain even harder and I got my wish. It came down...sounded wonderful, felt refreshing, smelled incredible. It wasn't until that moment that I was able to smile.

It didn't last long, maybe about 5 minutes but it was all I needed to wash away my mood and leave me thirsty for another run in the rain.

1 comment:

Jami said...

That sounds like a lovely run! My training schedule called for a 10.2run, 2 mi warmup, 10k effort test 5-8rpm, then a 2mi cool down. Was not in the mood to do it, but did it anyway. I haven't been loving my runs lately, I think it has to do with my IT band acting up around mile 4. Hopefully things will get better for me.