Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Girls On the Run 5K





I had the privilege of being my nieces running buddy for a program through the school district called Girls On the Run. Here is a little bit about the program taken from the website:

Girls on the Run of Northwest Illinois is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping girls climb out of the “girl box” using a 24-lesson curriculum designed to promote good choice for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. The curriculum, designed specifically to address “girl box” issues, uses warm-up, and workouts which encourage emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical well-being. Girls on the Run of Northwest Illinois prepares girls for a 5K run/walk event and challenges and encourages girls, whatever their fitness level.










This past Sunday was the 5K that all of the girls have worked so hard to get ready for. It was an amazing event and so neat to see all the little runners out there. It made me really look forward to Kait being old enough to participate...not this school year, but next.










My little niece did great. I ran a practice run with her a few weeks ago and got a feel for her pace and what she could do. She did a great job then and come in second. During the race on Sunday, I was talking to her, singing to her, and trying my best to motivate her to keep going and finish strong. We picked walking points and objects where we would start walking at and then ones that we would start running again. When we would start back to running she would go hard at around a 9:50 to 10:24 pace. I was so proud of her. She really gave it her all and finished her first 5K in 36:32! I got a little teary when we crossed the finish line and they put the medal around her neck.

Now to gear up for my last half marathon this year...so hoping for a PR!




No comments: