Sunday, October 3, 2010

Marathon number two, here I come...

I decided after my marathon relay last week that I needed to run another marathon. I remember how hard it was, I remember the pain, I remember it was the hardest thing I had ever done...but, I also remember crossing that finish line and the sense of accomplishment.

In the month leading up to my marathon in May, I trained my butt off. I don't think I walked normally that whole time. Something always hurt and I dreaded my weekend long runs toward the end. Some people can handle that training plan...my body didn't do the best with it.

My main goal going in to the Wisconsin Marathon was to finish. I had no clue what to expect...how I was going to feel...and while running it, if it was ever going to end.

Going in to this marathon, even though it's two weeks away, I feel a lot better about it. My body feels great, I know what to expect, and I know that I can do this.

Yesterday, after work, I drove to my marathon buddy's house to head out for an eighteen mile run. We settled on an out and back on a nearby trail...that is absolutely beautiful this time of year...out and back so that we had to finish. I was a little nervous about the distance since the most I have run since the middle of May is the ten miles I ran at the CRIM...and that was a pretty poor performance.

I felt really good going in to it. I hydrated all morning and loaded up on carbs the night before. About three miles in to it, I was still feeling great but wondered if I could keep it up. I decided to break it up in my head as four 4.5 mile stretches and not think about the whole eighteen. The temp was chilly (which I think helped), I had no stomach problems really until the last couple of miles, I had a rockin playlist, and it was good to be doing a long run again with Jamie.

As the pain crept up as I neared the end of the trail and the cramping in my calves grew more intense, all I could do was be thankful...thankful for my health and for the opportunity to be doing what I love again. I finished strong and checked my watch pretty pleased that in the 18 miles that I ran, I averaged a 10:40 pace. I will never be the fastest, I will never finish at the top of my age group...I am a middle of the pack runner...but, I will finish and I will keep running.

I am feeling good about this marathon. I am going to soak it in and enjoy every mile (didn't do a very good job at that last time). And, this time, I will finish below 5 hours...4:40 to 4:50 I would be thrilled with.

Here we go again...

No comments: